In Bertil Falk’s “The Saga of the Flight Homewards”:
- About how long does an “ell” appear to be?
- Why are Domalde, Bölverk and Dag pursuing Gardar so determinedly?
- Einar and Dag kill each other at the same time. What problems does that solve for Gardar? For the author?
In Ron Van Sweringen’s “The Boy Next Door”:
- The store clerk is described with a euphemism. Why? And what purpose does it appear to serve?
- The word “freebie,” with various spellings, appears to have been coined at some time in the 1940’s. Was it in common use in 1944?
- It is not impossible though highly implausible that the clerk would address Erthelene as “girl.” Why? What would she be more likely to say?
- Erthelene is depicted as feeling that segregation is an inconvenience. What is it compared to?
- Is it plausible that Erthelene would worry about her fingernails?
- Why is it impossible that either Erthelene or her next-door neighbors live where they do?
Copyright © 2013 by Bewildering Stories
What is a Bewildering Stories Challenge?